Friday 26 September 2014

Where do I go from here?

Okay, so I don't like to talk about things that will happen in the future, or things that I haven't written yet, mostly just because I get performance anxiety when people are waiting for something I haven't even started to create. It sets the bar a little high, you know?

But for now, I feel like I have to talk about a few things to sort them out.

Mainly, I have to decide what I'm going to do in the future as far as publishing my books go, and as far as how I want to do that goes. I love self-publishing. I love making covers and writing blog posts and having control over blurbs and marketing and pricing. It's fantastic and efficient and it helps me connect with readers on a closer level.

But the thing is, while going indie has helped launch my two short story trilogies, and get my name out there as far as writing goes, I don't want to be known as a short story author. I love short stories, but I'ma novelist at heart, and I have big (like, massive) stories and worlds I want to bring to life.

The problem is, I truly feel like these novels deserve the marketing and covers and publicity and production value that a traditional publisher can bring to the table, and I can't.

If you're wondering what exactly I mean, let me give you a brief list of what I want to achieve from here on out:


  • Publish Reveries and Regrets, the final story in the Dreamwalker trilogy.
  • Publish the second and third Lilac Jones Adventures stories, ending that trilogy.
  • Publish a novel.
I think that Finishing up my two short story trilogies will take two to three weeks, tops.

Publishing a novel, however? Hard to say.

Right now I'm thinking about my novels, and I'm thinking, Traditional? Indie? If I'm being honest, I think I'm good enough to be traditionally published. That may sound like, self-congratulatory or something, but I think it's still true. And I've always wanted to be traditionally published.

I have a series I'm in love with. It's a Young Adult Paranormal Romance, set around Demigods, but they're not any Demigods, they're Demigods set in a world with mythology created entirely by me. This isn't Greek or Roman or Egyptian or anything, it's my own world, with it's own rules and dangers and enchantments. But this is more than just a series of books: it's several series set in the same world, the same history.

I have three trilogies planned out in this world, and each trilogy features its own unique characters, its own unique part of the mythology and fantasy world it explores, and its own setting within our own modern world. It's dark, it's exciting, it's sexy, and it pushes the boundaries of the genre.

I like to pitch it as Beautiful Creatures meets Percy Jackson, meets Welcome to Nightvale, but that's just me. Sounds awesome, huh?

The thing is, I'm not at a time in my career where I can get a major publisher to take a chance on my nine book epic, just yet.

Luckily, I have a lot of ideas I'm passionate about that are more market friendly. The first is a New Adult stand alone called Fury Virus, which is inspired by Kill Bill and a few other things I can't talk about to avoid spoilers. The second is a trilogy of YA futuristic Sci-Fi novels that I already have outlined. This trilogy is literally my obsession, and I think these my be my best work as far as sci-fi goes. After that I have a few more projects I'll work on before trying to publish the nine book series. You can only really do that when you have Cassandra Clare level fame, and I'm so not there yet.

I'll post more Fury Virus info soon, along with keeping you guys updated as far as the short story trilogies come along!

No comments:

Post a Comment